02 November 2009

Watercolor Print Project

I haven't worked with watercolors much and on a whim last week I picked up some watercolor paints and paper at the local art store to see what I could whip up.  It was so much fun!  I'm usually pretty rigid when it comes to painting but this definitely allowed me to loosen up and create a more abstract composition.  A couple glasses of wine later and I had finished multiple pieces.  What a great medium to work in...it's not forgiving at all in that you cannot really go back over your work, which is kind of frustrating, but I got the hang of it after a bit.  Each mark is more permanent but this allows you to really think before laying down the paint and play off of what you've got.  I thought I achieved some really great effects...I don't usually use pinks, purples, & oranges but I was feeling inspired by that evenings sunset off our deck and I couldn't resist.

Once they were dry I took a couple of my linoleum blocks and printed a layer on top & viola!!!  I think there is more I can incorporate here, but it's a start...could become an interesting series...until next time..
 Ciao!




No comments:

Post a Comment