14 March 2011

...dimanche en france...

...since our arrival in France my husband & I have had a hard time getting used to the hours of stores & markets, but I think we're finally starting to get the hang of it.  Everything is closed on Sundays with the exception of a few food markets that are indoor- farmers market style & some select restaurants- most of these close around 2pm so we've taken advantage of Sundays as our market day & food/drinks with friends.  This Sunday we rode our newly purchased scooter to the brochante in Cinq Cantos square in Anglet.  It was filled with several vendors mostly selling larger french antiques- none of which would fit on our bike with us- luckily for my husband!  We split a ham & cheese croissant & hopped back on our scooter to head to Les Halles in Biarritz to get our produce for the week.  Les Halles has outdoor vendors as well as 2 separate indoor markets selling everything from fresh spices, cheese, & coffee to fish & dried ham.  It's amazing!  While on the fishy side of the market we decided to seize the day & get a platter of oysters & white wine (10:45 too early??? Not here!)- they shuck the oysters for you right there on site.  6 oysters & a glass of white wine for 6 euros...As if we hadn't indulged enough we then met our friends Steve & Sage who recently moved here as well at a bar next to the market, Le Comptoir, for Sangria & Tapas.  My favorite tapas was brie with honey- so good.  The guys were delving into the foie gras tapas- but I'm not sure I'm ready to try that yet....liver!  Amazing Sunday with great friends & my love...Sunday has a whole new meaning here &  I intend to embrace it!  Carpe diem! {xx mvg}

No comments:

Post a Comment